LMP Varsity Tennis Launches Season

Rachel Dearing, Mia Lamb, Jocelyn Mery, Steven Dimitrakakis, and Luke Panzo finish their match against Father Lopez.

Photo courtesy: Coach Stefanie

Rachel Dearing, Staff Writer

As tennis rolls into its 2020-21 season, Lake Mary Prep varsity tennis players look forward to bonding with the team and going all the way to the state competition. This year they have multiple returning players prepared to help teach the young team. This year’s varsity boys captain will be junior Luke Panzo and the varsity girls captain will be freshman Rachel Dearing.

“I’m super excited to be playing with my teammates again and can’t wait to see how the season plays out,” said Panzo. 

Both team successfully beat Father Lopez, with the girls winning 6-1 and the boys winning 7-0. The lineup was as follows: 

Girls: 

Line 1- Rachel Dearing 

Line 2- Jocelyn Mery 

Line 3- Arianna Kamvar 

Line 4- Carolina Hubbard 

Line 5- Mia Lamb 

Line 6- Kaylyn Phung

Boys:

Line 1- Jayden Mery 

Line 2- Luke Panzo 

Line 3- Diego Koh

Line 4- Sebastian Penagos

Line 5- Steven Dimitrakakis

Line 6- Cullen Holt 

The lineup for future matches will change as the season progresses.

Due to COVID-19 the season will only have 16 matches, as opposed to 25, and teams will practice social distancing on the courts. They will be required to wear masks when they are not on the courts, or not playing. Players are not allowed to shake hands and instead must tap rackets at the end of the match, and only one player may change the score. In addition, coaches and parents must wear masks. Visiting teams have their own section for fans, must wear masks, and practice social distancing.

LMP is proud to announce Stefanie Majstorovic as the new head coach of LMP’s varsity tennis for the 2020-21 season. She will join assistant coaches, Wendy Peeples and Debby Marhee, in training the varsity tennis players. Coach Stefanie was born and raised in Switzerland, and tennis was always a big part of her life.

“Tennis is a powerful tool that breaks down all barriers,” said Coach Stefanie. She recently moved to Orlando and currently teaches youth classes at The Geneva School.