LMP Celebrates with Cultural Festivities

Students from Chinese language classes pose with teacher, Ms. Chao.

Zainab Abdi, Staff Writer

Every year countries around the world celebrate festivals that are traditional to them. These festivals are either derived from the culture, religion, or traditions in these countries.

In February, some of the most well known ongoing celebrations are Mardi Gras and Chinese New Year. Many of Lake Mary Prep’s ethnically diverse population celebrate these holidays. For this reason, as well as to raise cultural awareness, lower school students participated in world language celebrations.

Chinese New Year is celebrated on Feb. 21. This holiday traditionally acts as a time to honor household and heavenly deities. This has been celebrated since the Shang Dynasty. It also experiences the largest migration in the world, which is known as the Spring Migration. The Spring Migration is the traveling of family members to visit each other and celebrate together. This is significant because most of the elderly live in rural areas, while children live in cities. Overall, this holiday primarily acts as a day to spend time with family and feast, much like the celebrations during New Years in the United States. Lower school students at LMP celebrated this holiday on Feb. 18.

Fifth-grader Lily Varitek stated, “It’s cool to learn about other cultures and different ways people do things. I learned what people eat and how they dress and how they act and their dances. It’s really cool to see how different people talk in their accents and what they do to greet people.”

Mardi Gras, the French translation of “Fat Tuesday” occurs the day before Ash Wednesday, a Christian holy day marked by prayer and fasting in preparation for Easter. Fat Tuesday is marked by indulgent eating which would not be consumed during Lent. Mardi Gras includes renowned festivities of feasting, parades, and throwing of trinkets into crowds. Lower school and upper school celebrated on Feb. 16 by dressing in the traditional green, gold, and purple signifying the holiday. Lower school classes participated in lessons geared specifically toward traditions of Mardi Gras, and upper school lunch included King Cake.

Fifth-grader Aarnav Thakkar said, “I’m excited since we get to learn religious celebrations or what would be done during them. I learned that during most they eat a specific kind of food and they dress a certain way.” 

By holding these celebrations, students in lower school gain the ability to learn about other cultural and religious celebrations besides their own. Although this year’s celebrations were somewhat altered, students were still able to enjoy festivals and cultures from around the world.