Fabianski’s Ballin’

Ian Fabianski goes for a jump shot.

Zainab Abdi, Staff Writer

Senior Ian Fabianski, a student athlete at Lake Mary Prep, has had a stellar high school basketball career. Playing as either a shooting guard or point guard, Fabianski has been playing basketball and developing his craft all his life. 

“My dad played basketball in high school. I’ve seen him play since I was 3 or 4. He let me dribble a ball, and I just got addicted ever since. I’ve been playing since preschool basically,” said Fabianski.

Fabianski has already achieved many of his goals. He averages a total of 29.1 points per game, which are shockingly impressive numbers in basketball. According to the National Basketball Association, NBA, as of March 1, 2021 the players that average more or less the same amount as Fabianski are: Kevin Durant, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Stephen Curry, Joel Embiid, and Damian Lillard. With his average points per game he is ranked as the third-highest scorer in Florida, and 20th in the nation.

“I felt that I was going to do really good this year. Still, that came as a surprise to me as well. I didn’t know I was going to be that high up but yeah, I surprised myself.  I knew I had the skills to do it, but I just feel blessed to achieve this,” said Fabianski. 

Athletes know the importance the demands of an athletic career and the responsibility that comes along with it. One of which is maintaining a healthy body and mindset. In addition to this, practice is imperative for improvement. Fabianski maintained these standards, which helped him to reach his goals.

Fabianski said, “I eat pretty healthily, but I didn’t have a specific diet. I ate my normal three meals every day, snacks in between. But it was never junk food, especially during the season. It was always high protein and high energy foods that could get me throughout the day.” He continued, “I work my butt off every day. Literally hours every single day. Probably 3 hours of basketball and an hour of weightlifting. It was tiring, drained me down, but the hard work and the grind payed off.”

Since he is a senior, Fabianski will be departing from the LMP family at the end of this school year. Although it will be sad to see him leave the Griffin basketball team, there is excitement to see how he progresses in the future and to how high he can keep going. 

“I’m looking at colleges right now and [see] some interesting schools. There are many coaches helping me out. I’m not decided yet though still. I’ll see how the next few months come and what the decision will be,” said Fabianski. 

After finishing his final high school basketball season, he had some parting words for students at LMP.

“Don’t give up on your goals. Set a goal and just keep working. Don’t ever give up if life puts you down; you just got to keep moving forward and not let anyone tell you otherwise.” 

Fabianski’s hard work and mindset are sure to give him a promising outcome in the end.