Prestigious Colleges Don’t Determine Success

Prestigious colleges offer no guarantee.

Kaylyn Phung, Staff Writer

College is an important entrance into the adulthood of teenagers. Since the pandemic, it is harder to get into selective schools. Although getting into a prestigious college is a very encouraging accomplishment, it should not be considered the only way to be successful. 

First, no matter what university students attend, there are a variety of great opportunities for them to learn the essential knowledge and accumulate their social skills. This depends heavily on the students themselves to wisely utilize what they are being offered and be successful with it.

On the other hand, it doesn’t necessarily mean that good schools don’t offer good courses and activities. Ivy league schools charge large sums. For example, Harvard University charges more than $51,000 just for tuition per academic year. With this significant amount of money, students are offered advanced facilities and also chances to meet and work with alumni and professors who can help them improve their projects and experiences. However, it doesn’t guarantee that the students will achieve what they want. A large proportion of success comes from one’s hard work and consistency.

Second, a large majority of graduates start from the same position after graduation from colleges. Regardless of how many high grades the student has, they would still have to fight for a job. A study by the Lumina Foundation, an organization committed to increasing the percentage of Americans with post-high school degrees, reveals that job interviewers are not that concerned about college degrees received by their new hires. What really matters, in this case, is experience and how college students perform when they get their jobs. Just because one went to a top-tier university doesn’t mean they have a higher chance to get a job compared to others from lower-ranked schools.  

Students should feel rewarded for their achievements when getting into a prestigious college, but they shouldn’t consider it as the only way to success. No matter where they study, they would still have equal opportunities to be successful in the career they choose.