Counselor Tate Tackles Topics for College Resumé

Allison Tate is LMP’s Director of College Counseling.

Kaylyn Phung, Staff Writer

Building a college resume is hard. Yet, it is also an exciting process where students get to show what they are interested in and what they are capable of doing. Since most colleges don’t require a paper resume, it is a more figurative process that reflects a student’s high school journey. At Lake Mary Prep, students are assisted by such as our counselors on which academic courses or activities to take roles in that best help them with their future majors. 

Academic works and extracurricular activities are equally important in one’s high school life. Academics express a student’s ability to complete tasks, but hobbies and activities show who the individual students are. It is always a top priority to do well in class and get involved in school life. Although grades are not everything, it is undeniably what most colleges base their assessments on a student’s performance on.

Ms. Allison Tate, who has a very rich experience as a college admissions counselor, explained how each of these elements contributes to an ideal college resume. 

“The classes that students take and how well students do in them is the number one thing. So, when you are making your resume, you put your GPAs (both weighted and unweighted) and also advanced courses. After that, colleges are looking for you to be involved or engaged in two to three activities during your high school career. Those can be at school or at home. You can have a job, do volunteer work, or be involved in your house of worships,” said Tate. 

Regarding extracurricular activities, the consistency of students in pursuing their hobbies or interests is a major feature in resumes. In these activities, students get to do things they love or what really matters to them. Therefore, the deeper and more dedicated a student gets with their activities, the more of an impressive look they have to the colleges.

“They want you to care about something, and they want you to do it in your 4 years. Freshmen and sophomore years are when you are supposed to try things out. If not all of your high school, then just as many as you can. Collecting stamps is an example. You could continue collecting them, research them, and try to know what they represent, and that could be one activity,” said Tate.

Along with accomplishing good academic achievements, there are many opportunities for students to explore themselves further at school and home. No matter how hard the challenge is, trying and working hard is the key to success.