Summer Programs Shine at LMP

Rhea Thakkar, Staff Writer

Lake Mary Prep will hold summer camps for the Lower and Middle School students. The camps will be offered for the following four age groups: Younger Pre-K Griffins (Pre-K 3 and younger Pre-K 4), Older Pre-K (older Pre-K 4 and 5 years old), Lower Primary (Kindergarten-2nd Grade), and Upper Primary (3rd-5th Grade). The camp timings are 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. and will take place from June 7 to July 30. 

These 8 weeks have different themes for the day camps. Week 1 is Ninja Warrior week. The campers will learn how to build strength, endurance, and confidence as they overcome challenges and obstacles that Ninja Warriors would face. Week 2 is Amazing Race. Campers will race to the finish line as they compete in foot, wheelbarrow, go-kart, and sack races. Week 3 is Fitness and Health. Campers will engage in ways to build up cardio and stay fit while keeping their bodies healthy. Week 4 is When Nature Calls. The campers will embrace the outdoors and swim in Florida’s natural spring waters. Week 5 is Vroom Vroom Around the Room. Campers will learn about planes, trains, and all things automobile. Week 6 is Winter in July. Campers will experience snow days, ice skating, holiday songs, penguin races, and ice challenges. Week 7 is Art Attack. The campers will unleash their creativity and love for art with a week focusing on fine and performing arts. Week 8 is Sticky, Wet, and Wild. The campers will enjoy their final days with a week full of slime, water activities, pie face games, body painting, color runs, and more. 

Specialty academic, art and athletic camps will also be offered. From science to writing to Pre-K preparation, different LMP teachers will be instructors for various camps. Ms. Jennifer Kobrin will be in charge of the dance camps while the Fine Arts Department will host a camp called Summer Stage; by the end of their two-week camp, they will perform the show Matilda the Musical. Tennis, volleyball, baseball, flag football, track and field, archery, basketball, and soccer will all be offered as sports summer camps. 

The costs of these camps vary based on the timing and type of camp. For a full day (8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) camp, the cost is $195 per week per child. For the extended day camp (7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.), the cost is $215 per week per child. For the specialty camps, the cost varies between $195 to $450. Please see Ms. Lezlee Oliver-Crumpler to know more about the day, academic, and artistic camps and see Mr. Justin Varitek to know more about the athletic camps.