8th Graders Get Taste of Parenthood

Kate-Rose Mundale Jones participated in the 8th grade baby experiment.

Zainab Abdi, Staff Writer

You may have noticed a bunch of middle schoolers roaming the halls with babies in their arms. Thankfully, they’re fake babies and not real ones. Middle schoolers participating in HOPE, the Health Opportunity through Physical Education class, are doing a new project in relation to parenthood and nursing.

The teacher of the HOPE class, Coach Bonnie, spoke about the project the middle schoolers are doing. 

“It’s a 5-day project that they [the middle schoolers] are required to keep up with. They take the baby to school and we have kidnappers that we have recruited throughout the school so if they leave their baby unattended, the kidnapper can actually kidnap their baby, much like real life.”

HOPE is not just a course home to LMP, but schools throughout the country. This course primarily focuses on developing skills, habits, and attitudes towards obtaining and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, both mentally and physically. HOPE does not just focus on physical health but is also a big factor in aiding mental growth. The course focuses on building seven specific skills, six of which are internally focused. These include analyzing internal and external environments, self-management, interpersonal skills, decision making, goal setting, and advocacy.

Coach Bonnie said, “The primary goal of HOPE is to introduce the kids to the different spectrums of being healthy and how it varies for each person individually. They’ve kind of created their own individualistic goals that they have been attaining throughout the year and understanding that not everyone is always at the same level. So researching ways how to keep that health throughout their life.”

There is only one HOPE period this year, during the 5th period as opposed to two of the last year. The course is required to be taken for at least one year as students at the school need at least one P.E. credit to graduate. Most students at LMP complete their year of HOPE in middle school. Regardless of how one feels about partaking in physical education, it’s proven to be extremely beneficial. Participating in physical education has been shown to increase self-discipline, improve relationships with peers, goal settings, better grades, and obviously, better physical health.