Mask Policy Remains

Mr. Herold wears a mask as part of LMPs mandatory policy.

Mr. Herold wears a mask as part of LMP’s mandatory policy.

Kaylyn Phung and Rachel Dearing

After parents and students at LMP were positively informed over the summer that masks were optional for this school year, the CDC changed their recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated students to continue to wear them. However, with the rapid spread of the Delta variant, Lake Mary Prep’s administration reviewed and updated mask-wearing to mandatory indoor use days before school started. 

But for Florida public schools, Governor Ron DeSantis has made it clear in an interview with Miami Herald that masks are optional across the state, saying “The question is, shouldn’t this be something the parent is best to evaluate?” In a Reuters article, he states, “In Florida, there will be no lockdowns, there will be no school closures, there will be no restrictions and no mandates in the state of Florida.” Florida Politics reported DeSantis said, “There’s consequences for [mandating masks in schools as it is an executive order that schools cannot mandate masks.] There’ll continue to be more, and I think we’ll see that.”

Because LMP is a private school, administration is able to bypass this executive order. However, this abrupt change in mask requirements at LMP aroused mixed responses from students. Junior Khushi Mehta supports the school’s decision to reinstate the requirement of masks. 

“I think masks are very important since even with the distribution of vaccines, cases in our schools and also in Florida are rising. I also feel a lot more safe because precautions are being taken for the benefit of everyone around me,” said Mehta. 

Meanwhile, sophomore Sofia Mohring is looking forward to a mask optional policy.   

“I hope in the future we won’t have to wear masks anymore, but I don’t think that should happen until the virus stops spreading,” said Mohring. 

Administration committed to LMP families to actively re-evaluate the COVID policy by frequently reviewing recommendations from the CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics. As it currently stands, the mask mandate remains in place.