Homecoming Hiatus Over

Senior Arianne Spenneman checks out the dress-up day themes for homecoming 2021.

Ryan Hosler and Kaylyn Phung, Staff Writers

Many students are excited that homecoming week is back at LMP after a one-year hiatus due to the pandemic. As homecoming returns this year, the student government has been working hard preparing for this action-packed, week-long event with various activities to boost school spirit. From Oct. 4 to Oct. 8, 2021, there will be a spirit week for upper school. Students are encouraged to dress up based on each day’s theme as follows: Movie Monday, Twin/Triplet Tuesday, Woke Up Like This Wednesday, Back to Kindergarten Thursday, and Decades Day Friday. 

Junior Arielle De Los Santos is looking forward to this momentous week. 

“I’m very excited for homecoming dress-down days as well as the powderpuff game. We didn’t have a dance night last year due to the pandemic, so I hope it’s going to turn out great,” said Santos.  

The girls’ powderpuff and boys’ football games will be hosted at Lake Mary Prep on Friday, Oct. 8. The football team is scheduled to play against Foundation Academy, and kickoff is at 7 p.m. To end the exciting week, student government has organized a homecoming dance on Saturday, Oct. 9, at 7:30 p.m. Based on the majority of votes from students, the main homecoming theme is Midnight in the Garden: Murder Mystery. 

Heading up the homecoming committee is Junior Katie Amitrone. She and the entire committee have worked tirelessly to ensure protocols are in place in order for the dance to even occur. 

“Everyone in SGA is excited for this year’s homecoming week and the dance. We will be utilizing the entire gym for enhanced safety. Moreover, masks will be required.”

The return of homecoming is just one step closer to bringing back student-body activities lost due to the pandemic. Amitrone said SGA also “has a lot planned for the future.”