Trunk or Treat Returns!

A student prepares for Trunk or Treat on the LMP track.

Iona Brooks, Staff Writer

Trunk or Treat has always been a much-loved LMP Halloween tradition taking place on the last Friday before Halloween, and this year it is making its return on Oct. 29. Each year, upper school students organize in groups of 6 to 8 people and create a trick or treating experience for the lower school students using the trunks of their cars positioned around the track. Each group dresses up and decorates their cars with a unique theme. 

Last year, Trunk or Treat was unfortunately cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions. As SGA works to plan this event, they are prioritizing safety precautions but remain hopeful that the event will provide a sense of normalcy. SGA staff advisor, Gina Bortz, says how Trunk or Treat is for the younger kids to make them feel happy, excited, and included with the upper school.

I think for me, it really is the main event where we have a chance to demonstrate the #OneLMP mentality,” said Bortz. 

Each club or group supplies their own candy and GPA has requested that all candy is chocolate-, nut-, and gum-free this year. 

In past years, this event has provided a chance for the upper and lower school to come together to celebrate school spirit and create a greater sense of community at LMP. Senior Brianna Letterio’s past experience participating in Trunk or Treat reflects just that.

“I really enjoyed seeing all the different and unique costumes. It made me happy seeing all the lower school kids get so excited over this holiday,” said Letterio.

Trunk or Treat also serves as an opportunity to highlight the creativity and artistic talents of LMP students. Each team comes together to create a fun theme for their trunk such as Scooby-Doo, Stranger Things, or Spongebob. Junior Abby Petrousky’s previous Trunk or Treat theme was Hawaiian luau. 

“My group… had a bunch of leis and tropical decorations to hang around one person’s car, and we all wore Hawaiian shirts to match. We just tried to have as much fun with the theme as possible,” said Petrousky.

Overall, Trunk or Treat promises to be a great start to this holiday weekend, emphasizing #OneLMP and providing a fun event for all students. Upper school students can sign up to host a trunk on Oct. 29 by contacting their SGA representative or Mrs. Bortz.