National History Day Arrives

Mrs. Doreen Alicea reviews Christina Papanicolaou’s digital project for National History Day (Jan. 2021).

Ryan Hosler, Staff Writer

National History Day, a non-profit educational organization based out of College Park, Maryland, engages over a half a million students all over the world annually to conduct research on historical topics. This year’s preliminary school day level is Jan. 20.

Each year, the National History Day theme changes each year. This year’s theme is Debate & Diplomacy in History: Successes, Failures, Consequences. The fair will be held in the gymnasium during advisory on Thursday. The Seminole County National History Day fair for districts will be on Feb. 26, and states will be held on May 1-3 at Tallahassee Community College. 

This is Lake Mary Prep’s third year participating in National History Day which was brought to LMP by U.S. history and government teacher, Mrs. Doreen Alicea. There are two categories for the fair: juniors, in grades 6 through 8, and seniors, in grades 9 through 12. 

This is a great project for LMP students as it involves critical thinking, problem-solving, research, and reading skills, as well as improving self-esteem and confidence. Students also learn important life skills such as presenting to teachers and peers, creating an annotated bibliography, and researching primary and secondary sources. Upper school government teacher, Mrs. Doreen Alicea is excited to see how students will perform in its third year here. 

“Overall, last year was very successful for our National History Day projects. I feel that every year we can build on it and improve. Having the fair makes kids excited to learn and [forge] their own academic paths,” said Alicea.

Last year, LMP had 12 projects that went to districts, 6 projects that went to states, and 1 project that went to nationals. Eighth graders, Violet Burch and Gabriella Humleker, went to nationals last year for their project called Political Symbolism in Music. This year, Burch is excited to present her project on the history of music in Hollywood. 

“I have always had a certain love for music. So, I decided to incorporate one of my biggest passions into my project. This year, my project is ‘The Debate on Regulations in Old Hollywood’. I’m proud of the outcome, and cannot wait to show it!” said Burch. 

This event is open to all upper school students during periods one, three, and advisory Thursday.