Girls Weightlifting Ends Successful Season

Sophomore+Sarah+Delvy+performs+a+clean+and+jerk+lift+for+districts.+

Sophomore Sarah Delvy performs a clean and jerk lift for districts.

Iona Brooks, Staff Writer

This season has been one of the best in recent years for the girls weightlifting team, with several meet wins this season and innumerable personal records for the girls. The team worked especially hard practicing several times a week to be more competitive in their meets.

Despite the strong team bond, weightlifting is competed individually. On Wednesday, Jan. 19, the team attended the district competition at Trinity Preparatory School. Each girl had the chance to go to districts, with her overall score in her weight class coming from the combined total of her bench, clean, and jerk lifts. Senior Gina Papa has been on the weightlifting team since her freshman year and attended both districts four times and regionals twice. 

“It’s been fun, and I’ve learned a lot about weightlifting and been able to get stronger and make new friends. Being here for such a long time, I’ve been able to help the younger girls since I know what’s going on and how to do lifts, so I can help my teammates who’ve never done this before,” said Papa. 

The season is especially impressive considering the large number of middle school girls on the team, many of whom are some of the strongest lifters. Sixth grader Sadie Swegheimer had a successful first year on the team. 

“The season has been really fun, and I’m glad I got to try something new that I really like,” said Swegheimer.

Since districts, a record of seven people competed at regionals on Jan. 28,  giving opposing schools a difficult time. Overall, this season has been incredibly strong with the team and coaches going above and beyond to better everyone’s personal scores and the team’s overall performance. We look forward to seeing what future seasons bring for LMP Girls Weightlifting.