Candyland Game Night Is a Hit

Students had a variety of fun games to play at the game night.

Kaylyn Phung, Staff Writer

As COVID-19 cases rose within the Lake Mary Prep community, the winter dance was canceled. Instead, the Student Government Association substituted it with a game night following the dance’s Candyland theme. Unlike the dance, this event was available for upper and middle school students and was held on Friday, Feb. 25. This fundraising event benefitted the HOSA-Future Health Professionals club for their state competitions. 

In collaboration with the Classical Gaming Club, SGA worked hard to create an amazing game night. Before the event, sophomore Rhea Thakkar, vice president of SGA, said it was a much needed event. 

“After the cancellation of our dance, we want a fun social night and have an amazing one planned. It will feature Candyland, card games, and other favorites such as Monopoly.”

SGA saw a significant number of participants, as the event includes the lowerclassmen as well. Players were served with finger foods and drinks. In the main Super Smash Bro. game, Junior Dominick Fiorentino took first place but ended up giving his trophy to second-placed Sophomore Oliver Lester. 

“Social events are key to keeping a well-involved student body, and having middle school students there will make things fun and push toward a OneLMP spirit,” said Thakkar. 

This event marks the very first SGA transition of the senior executives to the underclassmen. So far, lower-grade level officers are in charge of constructing agendas and running meetings and are now advertising and organizing ticket sales. As a co-president of SGA, Senior Mia Mantovani is optimistic about the transition process. 

“We have a lot of good leaders and responsible members, so this transition has been pretty much seamless. I think we will be able to meet our goal of operating completely without seniors by spring break,” said Mantovani. 

Candyland game night was a successful first lowerclassmen-led event in replacement of the planned formal dance. Despite the ongoing difficulties amid the pandemic, SGA wants to ensure as many social activities as possible for LMP students. SGA hopes to bring more social activities to the students in the year.