LMP Theater Is Legally Blonde

Legally Blonde the musical will play at LMP on April 1 and 2.

Iona Brooks, Staff Writer

This year the LMP theater department is proud to present “Legally Blonde” as the spring musical. “Legally Blonde” is “a celebration of defying stereotypes, law, and love” that tells the story of a young college girl, Elle Woods, who goes to Harvard Law School to win back her boyfriend, but ends up learning not only law but also the extent of her own capabilities and independence.

Sophomore Jandy Nguyen will star as Elle Woods in the production and acknowledges how challenging it is to prepare for the lead role.

“Preparing for auditions was pretty fun. I had to memorize a monologue, read a script and sing a song from the musical. Playing Elle Woods has been really fun; it’s not just about you playing a character. We do a lot of assignments about character study which means that there are many acting methods, and we have to learn each method for our character. What we have done so far is doing songs, all the dances, and doing character study,” said Nguyen.

The production will have three runs with opening night on Friday, April 1, at 6:30 p.m. and again on April 2,  at 1:30 and 6:30 p.m. General admission prices are set at ten dollars per person and are now available to purchase online. Actors and stage crew are already hard at work rehearsing, designing sets and costumes, and putting together all the various moving parts of the stage for the show. Freshman Kailey Espada is a member of stage crew for the first time this year.

“Stage crew has been really nice so far. I get to hang out with friends a lot, and it’s a really good experience overall. I’m going to be doing sound which I don’t have experience doing yet, so I’m really excited,” said Espada.

The show has been adapted from the Broadway version to fit a high school scale. It runs for approximately 75 minutes and has a full variety of songs and dance numbers. Drama teacher and director Katie Corrie is responsible for the play selection, casting, and many of the creative choices of the production. With all of the hard work and dedication of the LMP theater department, this production promises to be an unforgettable experience.

Be sure to buy your tickets now at https://teachtix.com/lakemaryprep/legally-blonde-the-musical to witness the spectacular shows this April!