Gazette Staff Says “So Long”

Aanika Valbh, Editor-in-Chief

Since 2019, the Griffin Gazette has been spreading news and bringing awareness to important issues at Lake Mary Prep in support of its students. But after these three short years, it appears that the newspaper class may no longer continue, at least for next year. While this may not be a final goodbye, the newspaper staff of 2021-22 school year would like to say a small farewell to the Griffin Gazette:

Senior and staff writer, Iona Brooks: “Newspaper began as just a class I was placed into to fit my schedule, however, it quickly became one of my favorite classes and I am so thankful that I was able to work with Mrs. Schmaus, Aanika, and the rest of the newspaper staff this year. Working on the Griffin Gazette has helped me improve my writing and has been such an unexpected and fun experience for my Senior year.”

Senior and staff writer, Challis Payne: “This was my first year being a part of journalism and the Griffin Gazette. I have a lot of fond memories of this class and how it allowed me to take a break from my creative writing style and delve into journalistic writing which are drastically different from each other. It allowed me to branch out and gain more experience as a writer, which I am always excited for. Though I prefer creative writing, the research involved and knowledge gained through specific articles came to be a favorite thing of mine. I am grateful for the staff and this class for giving me the chance to not only have a safe place to vent and write about on-going life struggles, but the chance to grow and mature a writer and person as well as create fond memories like sword fights with Iona and eating brookies with Ryan.” 

Senior and staff writer, Ryan Hosler: “This was my first year on staff, and it was a thrill-seeking experience. Never have I thought that in my senior year of high school I would be on the newspaper staff in Lake Mary Prep. I learned so much throughout the year and my writing skills have improved. I would like to thank Mrs. Ginger Schmaus for giving me this opportunity to report on events directly impacting the students at LMP. To everyone else, thank you for being the BEST newspaper staff!”

Sophomore and staff writer, Rachel Dearing: “I’ve been a part of the Griffin Gazette for two years now and I am very thankful for the opportunity to work on staff. I loved working with both the previous and current staff. They all worked very hard to report LMP’s news and always made each article fun. I would like to thank Mrs. Schmaus for being an awesome teacher as she has inspired me to be the best version of myself in and out of the classroom.”

Junior and staff writer, Kaylyn Phung: “This was my second year on staff and my third year in Journalism, and I have had such an incredible experience. Not only do I get to be a part of the Gazette but also of the great and supportive newspaper team who really helped me express myself in my writing. Thank you, Mrs. Schmaus, for being such a great teacher for the past three years. I appreciate everything you have done in and outside of class to support the staff members.” 

Senior and Editor-in-Chief, Aanika Valbh: “I have been involved with the newspaper since last year as I spent my summer re-designing the newspaper site and learned about my responsibilities for my future position with Mrs. Schmaus. Ever since she approached me for this role, I knew it was something I wanted to do in my last year here to leave a mark on LMP as I leave for college. Newspaper has been a fun, collaborative community that I was grateful to be a part of. Thank you, Mrs. Schmaus, for this opportunity and for allowing me to inform my community and express my opinions through the Gazette.” 

The newspaper staff would like to once again thank Mrs. Schmaus. Her dedication, support, and fun personality made the newspaper class a more enjoyable experience than many of this year’s staff expected. Each writer on the Gazette will remember the laughs shared, opinions shared, and celebrations beheld in room eight. Your staff will miss you as they take the next steps into shaping their future.