Shrek The Musical: An Ogre-ly Magical Night

LMP drama students take to the stage.

Kaylyn Phung, Advertising, Writer and Photographer

Lake Mary Prep’s drama group presented Shrek The Musical to all students and parents on September 18 and 19. The play ran for 2 hours and was filled with all scenes centralizing around the hit movie, Shrek. 

LMP’s stage is seeing many talented student actors this year. They have been working together collaboratively for more than 1 month to prepare for the play. One of the actors, senior Minh Lam, who played Shrek, has been involved in this project since last year and was so excited to perform.

“It was a very interesting experience because I got to learn more about theater, something that I enjoy particularly. I learned how to interact with other people and get valuable life skills out of it, which diversifies my social life,” said Lam.

Shrek The Musical was supposed to be done at the end of the last school year but was postponed due to Covid-19 outbreaks. Since the return to campus, precautions were taken throughout the whole process due to the contagion. Despite the uneasy circumstances, students managed to bring outstanding performance to their parents at LMP. 

“Covid-19 has had a big impact on our progress. Our play was canceled last year since we had to be under lockdowns. However, it was really lucky that we were able to redo the play this year. Personally, I was satisfied with the result. We also got a lot of professional help from our drama teacher, and the performance turned out to be better than I expected,” said Lam.

Since the number of tickets was limited to follow social-distancing guidelines, the play was being streamed online, allowing students and parents to have easier access to the show. LMP drama teacher Ms.Corrie had to make several changes to the play since half of the crew members either left or graduated last year. 

“We had to replace many characters and the new actors only have 4 weeks to memorize their parts. We had to re-teach, re-block, re-choreograph almost number in the show. Sonia Delgado was very helpful as our Dance Captain. I thought the musical was absolutely fantastic. Our actors were safe and sound with their face coverings and following the CDC guidelines throughout the process. COVID-19 did not stop the performing arts at LMP!” said Corrie.