Griffin Winter Sports Begin

Team captain, Nicole Gaston, competes in districts.

Bruno Brito, Editor-in-Chief

Winter sports have begun at Lake Mary Prep and what a season it will be for soccer, basketball, and weightlifting.

This year the boys’ varsity sports are looking to repeat their performances that led them to their previous championship seasons. The basketball and soccer teams both hope to defend their titles as district champions and look to continue their team growth.

“I hope we can make it as far as we can into districts and regionals! The goal for this season is to be able to leave LMP with another district championship trophy, as well as begin a culture at LMP with winning.”, said senior Eric Torres, captain of the boy’s soccer team.

As for the girls’ varsity sports, the goal to win a district championship has only been strengthened. The girl’s weightlifting had a promising season last year with a team that performed well in districts; some members went to regionals. They now look to capitalize on their youthful team and have an even greater season. 

Regardless of having a young team, senior captain Nicole Gaston believes that this season could be a great one.

“Seeing the team make progress as a whole, but also seeing everyone on the team making progress individually, is what I most look forward to. Our team is young, but I expect to see major progress in the entire team with breaking their personal records, everyone doing amazing in districts, and more girls advancing into regionals this year,” said Gaston.

As for the girls’ varsity soccer and basketball teams, both look to bounce back from difficult seasons and start fresh at a chance for a district championship. Sophomore Carolina Coelho, a member of girl’s soccer, strongly believes in their ability due to the dedication and hard work in the team. 

“Our team is determined to showcase our hard work even though we are a young team that still has much to learn. However, our motivation to be better helps us to work hard. The atmosphere is a positive one, and we all support each other so that we can grow to be better together. If we are not the most experienced, we will be the team that puts the most effort,” said Coelho.

The outstanding work ethic and winning culture that has been instilled into the boy’s and girl’s winter sports from last year has carried onto this year and looks to grow. Every player has given their all to make this season a memorable one even with the COVID-19 pandemic.

The pandemic the world has faced limits how sports will be handled and viewed this year. It has been difficult for players, coaches, and spectators alike. Regardless, the winter season promises to be enjoyable due to the dedication of the coaches and players that make up each team. Go Griffins!