YouTube impacts entertainment industry

Students often prefer to watch YouTube rather than cable TV.

Zofia Miller, Staff Writer

YouTube has forever changed the entertainment industry as a whole.

Both the website and the creators on YouTube have created an entirely new niche for themselves in the entertainment industry. When on YouTube you can watch people play video games as one might watch sports games, listen to thousands of different songs and podcasts, find instructional videos for any problem you have, watch the daily life of someone all the way across the planet, and more. The usages of YouTube are endless, and anyone can post to the site. This means that along with the versatility of the website, there’s also a constant stream of new content.

Anyone with internet access can post to YouTube, thus anyone can become famous. Of course, you have to know about the algorithm, as well as be entertaining, but it’s much easier to become a YouTube influencer than to become a celebrity. From this, thousands of people who were previously completely unknown have amassed thousands of subscribers, and a few of those have even reached over a million. This being said, YouTube isn’t in any way easy to become famous on—you have to have a niche you’re the best at filling, be entertaining, and upload frequently. Still definitely better than hoping to be born lucky or win the acting-school-and-audition lottery.

Also, YouTube is full of creativity. Lots of young people with fresh new ideas—who may have been rejected by traditional media—can post onto the site, filling it with interesting original shows, movies, music, plays, and everything else you can imagine. Micheal Reeves, who has 5.45 million subscribers at the time of writing, has made a name for himself by making funny but useless robots. Dream and Markiplier, 12.6 million and 27.4 million respectively, make money by playing games with their friends and recording them. Thomas Sanders has a mini-show, AntsCanada with videos about ant farms. These creative ideas can amass a large social following and economic profit.

Fan content is also a huge part of YouTube. Fans of small shows can make the content of what they’re interested in and boost popularity just because the short video posted online was neat. A show might take influence from a fan creation because of its popularity or because the idea stuck out to them. Plenty of people who used to create fan content on YouTube became full-fledged influencers because of the popularity they got for their animations or theories, and plenty of shows gained enough popularity to survive and thrive because of their fans online.

Because of this, the demand for traditional media is becoming pickier. Why watch the 50th boring apocalypse series in a row when you could watch someone with fresh ideas who does it better on YouTube—without paying a thing, at that? And if you really love that old series, you can always find clips of it on YouTube. The audio or video might be a little strange, but it is just as amusing. So now the symbiotic relationship between YouTube and traditional media has shifted to favor one side, and YouTube thrives more and more each day. For once, it really is the demand that’s changing the market—and not what an outdated group of board of directors state is good.