Holocaust Exists Now

Uyghur activists march with the flag of East Turkestan.

Zainab Abdi, Staff Writer

The Holocaust of World War 2 was one of the most heinous crimes against humanity. Countries came together after the war to establish a set of international rules to ensure such a horrendous thing never occurred again. Unfortunately, those rules haven’t seemed to apply to some members of the international community. 

As of 2017, the Chinese government has been targeting members of the Uyghur community, specifically, Muslims. They’ve forced Uyghurs out of their homes and transported them to “re-education camps” for the sake of “vocational training,” much like the terms Hitler used to describe concentration camps. However, these camps fall under the United Nation’s definition of genocide. This is because those targeted belong to an ethnic group and religion. These victims are forced to do labor, which often results in them working to death and even being subjected to torture if they participate in religious practices. 

The list goes on about the terrible things to which these victims have been subjected. However, one of the worst crimes they have endured is the injustice of the international community. In the last five years of their suffering, little legislation or action has been taken from a worldwide effort to protect these innocent people. 

Sophomore Steven Dimitrakakis said, “There’s a lot of things that can be done, I wouldn’t be able to list all of them. Military intervention could be one, people can attempt to send aid there in an attempt to solve the problem through that but that may not exactly solve the problem. If more people may know about it, raising awareness but then also through that building up organizations to allow people to be aware of it and send aid.”

As abhorrent as this crisis is, the majority of people in the world don’t know about it. With the Holocaust and the death of nearly 6 million Jews, it was only afterward the world knew of that crisis. Students may think there isn’t much they can do. However, there is always something that can be done. Companies like H&M, Adidas, Nike, Puma, Skechers, Gap, and many more benefit from these labor camps. Raising awareness and directing money to other companies makes a difference in ending this atrocity.

Sophomore Carolina Coelho said, “What’s happening, I think, is really wrong and bad. They should be teaching us about this in school. This is very serious.”

Up to 9 million Uyghurs have already been killed and many more mass graves have yet to be discovered.

Change must come before it is too late for these survivors.