Super Bowl 55 Comes to Florida

The classic ‘Wilson’ football represents the age-old championship

Rhea Thakkar, Staff Writer

Super Bowl 55 is one for the history books. This is because this year the Super Bowl will be held in Tampa, Florida, and a team from Florida will play. The matchup this year is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers against the returning champions, Kansas City Chiefs. 

Freshman Aidan Hosler said, “I think the Bucs will win because of their experienced quarterback and other veterans, but it will be a close match.” The number of records that could be broken at this Super Bowl are considerable compared to the previous years. “I’m not too sure about the records being broken, but it’s always good to see how the game is changing,” Hosler said. 

There are 10 records that could be broken at this year’s Super Bowl. The top 5 most exciting ones however are:  

First: If the Tampa Bay Buccaneers win the Super Bowl, Bruce Arians, the Bucs coach, would be the oldest coach to win the Super Bowl. Arians is currently 68 years old, with the previous record being held by Bill Belichick, who was 66 years old when he won his last championship. 

Second: If the Chiefs win, Patrick Mahomes will be the youngest quarterback to win the Super Bowl two times. The record currently held by Buccaneers quarterback, Tom Brady. Mahomes is 25 years old, whilst Brady was 26 years old when he managed to win the Super Bowl twice. 

Third: Tom Brady, the Buccaneers quarterback, could join Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, and a few others as one of the only quarterbacks to lead a Wild Card team to a title. 

Fourth: The Chiefs could become the first team since the 2003-2004 Patriots to win back-to-back Super Bowls. The back-to-back drought would come to an end for the first time in 17 years. 

Finally: The Buccaneers are already the first team to play the Super Bowl at their home field. So, they would only make more history if they won. 

The matchup is certainly not one that was to be expected. 

Sophomore Hayden Daoust said, “I think it’s a good matchup to show the difference from a young QB to an old one. I didn’t expect it because I was surprised the Bucs won all the way.”  

The Chiefs are returning champions, and it would be shocking if they could end the back-to-back win drought. The Buccaneers were the underdogs all season, and for the first time in 18 years, they will head to the Super Bowl. Watch Super Bowl 55 on Feb. 7 on CBS.